Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lapbooking with my Homeschooler (and Public Schooler!)




Today Iris and I finished her first lapbook about mostly gems and a little bit about crystals. (Side note, I just quickly googled and found that link. So far I don't have a favorite lapbook link.) Lapbooks are a folder that a child fills with information on a specific topic. One fun point about lapbooks is that they are full of little mini books to explore which make reading a lapbook interactive.



Iris decided on our first day of homeschooling that she was going to learn about gems and crystals for her science class. We proceeded to check out books from the library and read all about how gems and crystals are formed and took notes about Iris's favorite things. Since Iris absolutely loves writing and drawing I decided using a lapbook to help her utilize her talents.



The lapbook was a hit! Iris does have a tendency to fly through projects as fast as she can-- quantity far outweighs quality in her mind-- so this lapbook has lots of misspellings and scribbles as well as parts where Iris got bored with the selection process of finding the right mini books so she just wrote right on the folder. Ah, well! She already has decided her next one will be a little more "fancy". We watched a YouTube video about a really elaborate lapbook (which relied heavily on the use of a computer) and Iris was a little befuddled that hers didn't resemble the one in the video.


The information she chose to include in her lapbook were facts about pearls, amber, amethyst, birthstones, where gems are found around the world, how gems are formed from plants and animals and how gems are formed from rocks. It was pretty clear that this lapbook skewed heavily towards gems, but Iris really wanted to include amethyst and didn't want to make a separate lapbook for crystals like we had originally planned.

Here is what the inside of her lapbook looks like:






I don't know if you can tell, but both sides fold in and meet in the middle. For some reason this is how they make lapbooks, instead of leaving the manilla folder folded in half. Perhaps to be extra fancy?



Of course, when Eloise got home and saw Iris's lapbook her eyes grew giant and she insisted that she make a lapbook, too. I decided to give her a topic to speed the process along during my busy afternoon rush of a million things to do. She set right to work creating a lapbook on the colors of the rainbow. Since Eloise is five, her lapbook is, well, clearly made by a five year old. It is all hers, though!



My favorite part was when she was coloring her map (she wanted one simply because Iris had one) she colored Africa and then said "Africa!". I looked at her and said, "did you just label Africa?" and, well, it turned out it was a very lucky guess. Or I suppose I can just choose to think of Eloise as a genius!



I have another photo of the mini books opened up, but my netbook is being weird, so I can't get to upload correctly. If I can fix it later I will post it.


As soon as Eloise started working on her lapbook I immediately thought "look at this bridge between school outside and inside the home!" and then realized, duh, all kids who attend school outside the home are also learning inside the home (or more specifically, outside of school).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it!