Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Second Homeschool Field Trip

Today Iris and I went to the Pacific Science Center. We are lucky in that Iris's Grandparents gave us a membership to this place last year for Christmas, so we have been a few times over the past several months. The most fun part about multiple visits to the same place are getting to see the revolving exhibits, and today was no exception. The main exhibit this time was "Puzzle Palooza" which featured a 35 foot tall electronic Groovik's Cube that was built by roommates and friends of my sister-in-law and brother-in-law (and my BIL worked on software design). We were really excited to see it in person as we have heard a lot about it and seen pictures of it, but have never seen it in person.


There are three different monitors you can sit at and play as a team or play solo. The original intent was that three people would need to work collaboratively since on person can't see all sides of it at the same time. Here when you play solo you just play the three sides you can see. There are different levels of play so Iris was able to solve it a few times. The squares are screens that are lit up so making a move on the touch screen (see below) changes the colors on the cube just as if you were moving a Rubik's Cube in your hands.


You can't really read this picture, I am sure, but it is quite interesting to learn how this thing was made. It had a budget of $10,000 and was made for Burning Man in 2009. The only thing I thought was kind of lame was that it didn't list all of the people who worked on the project, but you can read all of that on the Groovik's Cube website.


The Groovik's Cube was part of an exhibit on puzzles. It took me an embarrassingly long time, but I eventually solved this puzzle below. I did one more, too, but the rest were too frustrating for me. My brain doesn't quite work that way!


After we checked out a few other exhibits we went to the IMAX theatre to see a film called Rocky Mountain Express on how the Canadian railroad was built. I found it fascinating, Iris I think was a little bored, but she did good sitting through it and asked a few questions, so I know she at least paid attention.Wasn't nearly as cute as Born to Be Wild, which we saw last time!


This section of PacSci had some fun interactive displays, like playing music or pretending you were half your size and sitting at a giant table and chairs.


Iris also got to compose a piece of music, have it recorded and played back to her!


All in all it was a really fun trip. Next week we are planning to go to the Museum of Flight and the week after is Free First Thursday at many local museums, so we will head down to the Seattle Art Museum, which we are big fans of.

Maybe it's a bit premature, but I think a field trip a week might just be where it is at!

1 comment:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I agree a field trip every week is the way to go! I've loved all the places we've gone. Can't wait to hear about more places you two decide to go!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it!