Thursday, October 6, 2011

You Don't Belong Here

Ugh, today is a no-good, horrible, very bad day.

This morning I got an email saying, basically, that my daughter's behavior was essentially ruining everything about the Waldorf program she was in and they were asking her to leave. Now, I can't say I am upset about the piece about her leaving, as my suspicions were that it wasn't the right fit for her. What I am upset about is that this group put up a front of being supportive and they weren't, at all. From day one I explained the anxiety/behavior issues with Iris and they were all "oh, I think it will be great!" and now, nine school days later, they are all "oh my god, leave now!" without ever having been supportive or trying to work things out during the past month. Insert a few choice expletives here, if you will. But, you know, like I said, it's good in that we can be done with people who don't want us there.

Oh, I have a long rant in my head, but I will spare my blog and my readers.

Of course, there is the question now of what will we do? I had kind of banked a HUGE portion of our homeschooling year on this Waldorf program. I don't really know, yet. My instincts tell me to hold Iris in close, to keep her safe, but I know, in the long term, that might not be the best thing. I just have to find something else that is right for her, where she can be loved and supported and thrive. My mama bear claws are WAY out right now and that might mean not letting anyone else in her world for a bit.

I will likely look more in to classes for individual things, like art or music or athletics. Iris is doing amazing in her swimming class as well her art and fashion design class, so it will just be a matter of figuring out what else will work right now.

Exhale.

Tonight Matt and I are off to Eloise's school's curriculum night. I am kind of bummed that we will be at the kindergarten one and not get to hear about the higher grades, but that's not that big of a deal. I look forward to writing about it tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Sucky! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Waldorf has a very small-scale curriculum and I'm fairly certain none of the schools have any education at all how to deal with anything but a specific type of child - one without extra energy or anxiety or very sensitive. Hopefully, if you try public school you'll be at one with a good IEP program. Here in Northshore they do so hopefully where you are they will too - much more than Waldorf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Julia. We are working on getting Iris in to E's public school, hopefully by/for third grade. I am going to talk to the principal about what kinds of services they have to offer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it!