Thursday, January 12, 2012

Starting Home School in the New Year

Oh, man. So this blog here? Turns out it has been harder than I expected to keep up with. The small amount of time I feel like giving to blogging on any given day I tend to use it for my main blog.

We had a fun Christmas Break. Since Iris's school follows Eloise's school schedule, she had off two and a half weeks of school. It was a wee bit exhausting to get back in to the swing of things, but we did just fine. I decided to add up the lessons we had left and we have five more weeks of lessons than we have of school left so I need to figure that out. It is a little tricky for me because many lessons we do Iris already knows the material, but because everything has a sequence to it I haven't quite figured out the trick to skipping lessons. For now we double up any day we have time and that seems to work just fine.

This week and last week Iris went in to do an educational assessment to see where she is at, learning and  education wise. I am really anxious to get the results because it is (hopefully) going to help immensely in steering us in the right direction for her schooling for next year. I think it's in the back of all of our minds that we have a good chance of homeschooling another year, as well.

Today I was lamenting on Facebook (yeah for immediate feedback!) that I am so stumped as to how to do school with Iris when she has almost zero attention span. I feel like I am just now sort of getting the hang of home school, in general, and now am on the path of working out how to home school MY kid, not just the generic kid who the books are teaching to. Maybe by the end of the year I will have it figure out! That is  one other reason I am (almost) completely okay with homeschooling another year . . . . I will have had this year to figure things out and could take next year to really run with it. Or at least, that is what I like to think!

Anyways, our days are a mix about 50/50 of actual 'sit down and follow the text' schooling and break times. There are many bursts of 'sit down' time and break time every day. Right now as I blog, Iris is using her break to do origami from the book her babysitter brought her. This is good, because while it isn't on the curriculum, it's still educational and keeping her engaged. Somehow she is jumping all over while she does it, so it's getting her energy out, too. Hmmm, maybe we have found some unknown connection between PE and Origami? Sounds good to me! Sometimes she uses her break to play Moshi Monsters or read or draw or play dolls . . . . it all works out well for her And me. Given my druthers we would cram all of the school in to one big three hour school session and then call it a day, but that just wouldn't work for Iris.

Hopefully I can catch up with what Eloise has been up to. Seems the Christmas Break was good for her, school wise!








2 comments:

  1. I would suggest nailing down what the top subjects you need to cover with iris are. At her age, its probably math and language arts. If you really need to take days off when your younger kid is out of school, do so, but I typically school six days a week (M-Sat) for a bit less time. We start with reading work, switch to math, then go back to reading for some drills, then back to math for some drills. Some days (2-3 times a week) we move on to some penamanship or science lessons or some other subjects, but in elementary levels the specifics don't matter a ton and I find it works well to not be intent on finsihing a pile of curriculum for those areas. Instead, I look at what we should cover and try to set up ways to discover the material more organically. For example, if public school second graders are covering frog life cycles and weather this year, I make sure we have books on those topics from the library and draw from my curriculum (or the internet) for simple reinforcement projects.

    When I have a deadline, so to speak, I double (or even triple) up lessons on concepts I know my child will understand easily- she flies through a few worksheets and I feel like we've touched on it, even if nothing new was learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you figure out the secret as to how to keep Iris on task, let me know. Apparently, this is not a problem for EJ at school (or at least they haven't told us yet if it is) but it is a HUGE problem at home as far as getting her to practice piano and do her homework. So far the only thing that has worked is timing it so she does those things when she's not hungry or tired, and setting the timer so she knows she has a deadline and the time feels contained to her. Otherwise, it is a constant struggle and she acts like we are absolutely killing her and will do anything to procrastinate getting it done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it!