Friday, June 1, 2012

Tutankhamun: The Golden King and the Great Pharaohs

Yesterday Iris and I had the great fortune to be included in the CVA field trip to see the King Tut exhibit at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. If I am being completely honest, I should mention that going in to this field trip I basically knew nothing about King Tut. It crossed my mind in the days leading up to the field trip that Iris and I should do some research on what we might see at the exhibit, but we didn't. We have been super busy with school (and play!) and I thought, you know, seeing all of this first hand will spark an interest to learn more when we are done. I think my tactic worked and we will be searching for books and movies to expand our knowledge of King Tut and Egyptian history.



The field trip was very well organized. We were sent tickets in the mail with our names on them and we had to line up outside the Science Center 15 minutes before our ticketing time. Then we shuffled in to the center, waited in line again, shuffled through that one and waited again before being let inside the little holding area for the exhibit. After a quick movie and a review of the do's and dont's of the exhibit we were let inside. The exhibit is divided in to rooms. I don't remember all of them, but the first several were about Egyptian history and the kings, their queens, where they lived, the artifacts and statues that have been discovered. Then we went in to a room that contained jewelry, which fascinated Iris quite a bit. After that it was time to make our way through the rooms of King Tut's tomb.


We walked through the exhibits of each separate room. We saw one objects such as one of King Tut's beds, a small wooden boat that was to become an actual sized boat in the after-life, gold finger and toe covers, and the burial mask that was placed over the mummy. There was an amazing video that showed the multiple layers of King Tut's coffin, as well. 

It was quite amazing to know that this was all thousands of years old and lost in a tomb until the 1920's. Of course, it's a wee bit creepy, as well, but I guess we're all voyeurs, right? 

After walking through the gift shop (King Tut masks anyone?) there was one more small room that held a replica of King Tut's body and some information about tests that were performed on the corpse in order to understand more about how he died . . . and how he might have lived. 

I would highly recommend this exhibit to anyone even remotely interested in King Tut and kids at least of reading age who don't get bored easily. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, good, this was just what I needed. Mikko's super interested in Egypt & mummies, but I wanted to know more about the exhibit before we shelled out for tickets. Would you say any of it was scary or gruesome? (Like, the replica of the body.) He's afraid of mummies coming to life, so I wanted to make sure it was low on the freak-out factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about this as well. I was extremely annoyed when I found out our membership doesn't cover this exhibit. How long did you spend looking at the exhibit? Is it worth the $50?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally would not have paid that much to see it, especially for my kids. We spent I think about 75-90 mins total in the exhibit. Iris was a little bored, especially in the earlier parts, but she got excited when saw the jewelry and the things that were in King Tut's tomb. And of course I tried to explain parts to her to make it more interesting, or to help her imagine how long ago it was or what it must have felt like to discover the tomb.
    It is not at all scary, and the replica of the mummified body at the very end, after the gift shop, would be easy to shuttle kids past if that was a concern. MAYBE if your child could read it might be a wee bit scary, reading about mummified organs or the cat sarcophagus and whatnot, but none of the visuals were at all scary.
    I personally think the most fascinating part about it all is just how old everything was. Thousands of years it was all buried and how amazing that it was found at all and that we get to see it. Without that context it might be kind of ho-hum for some kids, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it!